James Scurlock '97 — twice a Moot Court winner

Last November, James was named an Overall Champion and Best Oralist in the annual University of Arkansas-Little Rock William H. Bowen School of Law Ben J. Altheimer Moot Court Tournament.

Overall champion James Scurlock (second from left) at the 2010 Bowen School of Law Moot Court.

This spring at the New York Law School 35th Annual Robert F. Wagner Labor and Employment Law Competition in New York City, James placed fourth overall in individual standings out of more than 100 participants (last year, he placed second in individual advocacy awards in the preliminary rounds at Wagner).  His Bowen Law School team earned best Preliminary Round Team and  Second Best Respondent Brief.

The Wagner Competition is the largest student-led moot court competition in the United States, attracting teams from the entire country. Nationally, Wagner is the premier moot court competition dedicated exclusively to the areas of labor and employment law.

James is originally from Gallatin, Texas, and was active in Legalis, Pre-Law Society, Student Senate, Theater and Radio, and Board of Publications, among others while a student at Wabash. He now resides in Little Rock where he plans to practice in the areas of employment and civil rights law.

Photo courtesy of William H. Bowen School of Law.

1. James Scurlock

I want to thank everyone for all the well wishes. I don’t go by Jim so I think that may have thrown a few people off. 🙂 I appreciate the school posting this though. I just got to do my first real argument before the Eighth Circuit in St. Louis and was much more nervous doing that than going to these competitions.