Mike Kaster (right) running in the 5K race in Carmel.

Mike Kaster ’84, who had to undergo a double-lung transplant last fall, finished his first 5K since the surgery last month.

After contracting COVID-19, the 60-year-old Carmel resident had a double-lung transplant and bypass on Sept. 7, 2021. Kaster went to an Indianapolis hospital July 18 and spent a little less than four weeks there before being transported to Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, where he was in its hospital facility for 77 days, making a total of 101 days in the hospitals. He went on life support Aug. 6, on his 38th wedding anniversary.

On April 9, 2022, Kaster successfully completed the 5K run in 46 minutes and 56 seconds as part of the Carmel Marathon.

Details of his long journey to the race were featured in an article by the Current. You can read the full story here.

“In November, I could barely walk to the end of our driveway, so my goal was to walk a mile by the end of November,” Kaster said. “Then it was to go 2 miles. Then my goal shifted to getting back to running, which I started doing in February. Then I set my sights on doing my first 5K since getting COVID last July. The Carmel Marathon’s 5K was good from a timing perspective and gave me something to shoot for.”

Kaster works as the EVP – Head of Life Solutions at Gallagher Re, a global reinsurance broking and advisory firm. While at Wabash, he was a math major and economics minor, and was a member of the football and wrestling teams and Phi Gamma Delta fraternity.