Kenneth Rhys Rudolph Memorial Fund for European Summer Study Abroad 
Summer 2022 Rudolph Scholar Blog
Liam Thompson ’23 – Spain

This July, I was fortunate enough to live and study in Madrid at Universidad Nebrija. During my time in the city, I was able to fully immerse myself in and experience the amazing culture that Madrid has to offer. I spent many days exploring Plaza Mayor and enjoying local “tapas” nearly everywhere I went. I saw my first bullfight and toured Santiago Bernabéu, home of Real Madrid (the most recent Champions of Europe). One of my favorite parts of the city was the arts district, where I explored Parque Retiro, as well as the major museums: the Prado, Reína Sofía, and Thyssen museums. Being able to see some of the world’s most famous pieces of art like Picasso’s “Guernica” was a truly humbling experience. I was also able to travel to El Escorial, Mallorca, and Barcelona during my time in Spain. Overall, my experience abroad this summer opened my eyes to a world I could have only dreamed of. It allowed me to grow in my confidence in the language through communicating with my host family, locals, and fellow students. I am truly grateful to the Rudolph family for helping me to achieve a long-time goal of studying abroad and changing my perspective on the world.