Max Atkins ’20 – Experiencing Art in Spain, France, and the Netherlands

Atkins ’20 at Van Gogh Museum

Max Atkins ’20 – While I spent four months studying philosophy in Amsterdam, my travels were not limited to the Netherlands thanks to the Givens family. While my intention when going abroad was to focus on the work of Picasso, I was able to experience much more than that through the semester. Upon arrival in Amsterdam, I purchased a museum card that got me into all the museums throughout the Netherlands. With this I got to experience all different forms of art. I got to experience the work of Van Gogh through his life at the Van Gogh Museum, I got to see the work of Dutch classics through the golden age by artist such as Rembrandt, and even modern works of photography.

Thanks to the Givens Scholarship, I got to travel to Spain and France and further my experience of art. I went to Paris and had an overwhelming experience of art from all ages. I got to visit Musée d’Orsay, where the picture I’ve attached is taken, where I not only got to experience art different than what I was seeing in Amsterdam, but also in a completely different style. In Amsterdam many museums do not allow photography of any kind and are eerily quiet. D’Orsay was completely different in that as soon as you walk in you can here the chatter of everyone experiencing the art in their own way, taking photos of the art, with the art, and marveling at its beauty. The museum captured art through all of history from ancient rome all the way through the 20thcentury.

I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to travel and experience art many different ways. To experience architecture, paintings, sculptures, and many other art forms spanning across centuries. Thanks to the Givens, I got to have experiences that I will remember for the rest of my life.