Grant Braun ’24 – Study of 15th -18th Century Portuguese Art & Architecture

During my recent study abroad experience, I had the privilege to visit the charming city of Strasbourg, France. This trip proved to be an intellectually enriching experience, as I had the privilege of visiting two iconic landmarks – the European Parliament and the Strasbourg Cathedral. This juxtaposition of political significance and historical grandeur offered profound insights into the delicate interplay of contemporary affairs and enduring human values.

Upon entering the European Parliament, I was struck by the diverse tapestry of languages, cultures, and ideologies represented within its walls. Observing the passional deliberations and collaborative efforts among representatives from various European nations underscored the significance of diplomacy and multilateralism in today’s globalized society. The experience reaffirmed the notion that meaningful progress can only be achieved through dialogue and mutual understanding.

In the presence of distinguished lawmakers, I discerned the common thread that unites them – a shared commitment to shaping a prosperous and harmonious future for Europe. Getting to observe parliamentary proceedings served as a stark reminder that collective endeavors are pivotal in addressing the complex challenges that transcend national borders.

Conversely, a visit to the Strasbourg Cathedral provided a striking contrast to the realm of contemporary politics. The awe-inspiring architecture and rich historical legacy of the Cathedral fostered an atmosphere of serenity and contemplation. As I wandered through its halls, a profound appreciation for the continuity of human values and spiritual pursuits across generations emerged.

The Cathedral offered a space for introspection, prompting reflections on the transience of human existence amidst the time-honored traditions. Encountering the Cathedral’s timeless beauty underscored the enduring importance of faith and spirituality as a source of guidance in a rapidly evolving world.

My journey through Strasbourg left an indelible mark, offering a nuanced perspective on the interconnections between politics, history, and spirituality. In reinforced the understanding that while the world may seem ever changing and complex, embracing our shared humanity and valuing our common heritage can guide us toward a future defined by empathy, cooperation, and progress.

Thank you to the Givens family for your incredible support you have provided in funding my studies in Europe. Your generous contributions have made in indelible impact on my life, allowing me to pursue my dream in a way I never thought possible. Your support not only lightened the financial load but also inspired me to work harder and strive for excellence in every aspect of my education.