Tyler Rector ’21 — This summer, I have been interning at the Crawfordsville | Montgomery County Chamber of Commerce. Most of my work has been on promoting the chamber and its members through video interviews. Each week I have been able to meet with business owners from all different areas in the community. From Brad Monts of Hoosier Heartland Bank to Diana McCormick of Athens Art, our member database covers all aspects of business here in Montgomery County. Most of the interviews revolved around me asking various questions. First, “Why is the chamber important to your business?” Second, “What reasons would you give a local business (small or large) to join the Crawfordsville | Montgomery County Chamber of Commerce?” Through these interviews, I have made numerous connections outside of the office and have met tremendous members who have the best interests of the Crawfordsville/Montgomery County community at heart. 

The final product will be a promotional video highlighting the locally owned businesses here in Montgomery County. When I began the internship in June, the Crawfordsville | Montgomery County Chamber of Commerce website had no video footage. Many of the pictures were stills taken from a few years ago. My supervisor, Cassie Hagan, and I have been collaborating on bringing new life to the website by drawing more consumer attention and traffic. We want to show off our great community to people who may not know anything about us or give more information to those who wish to learn more about the area. All in all, the goal is to illustrate the best of the Crawfordsville/Montgomery County area to outsiders. 

While most of my work has been on this one video, other uses on the website may land me a job here during the 2020 Fall semester as I continue to enhance and brighten our page through more visual work. I have also made a few user guides to for chamber members, such as a Wireless Screen Sharing Guide to use, and we hope it helps them as we continue to develop and grow their businesses. The work I have been doing has allowed me to further my knowledge of video filming and editing, which I intend on pursuing after Wabash. As a result, the Crawfordsville | Montgomery County Chamber of Commerce has a lot to offer to those who want to visit the community.