Drew Stults ’20 Apex Benefits – If you haven’t heard of Apex Benefits, it is a benefits insurance broker that helps other companies figure out what health insurance/benefits programs would be best suited for their individual needs. Walking into the internship, I was a bit skeptical since I had quite literally no prior experience with anything related to the health insurance industry. However, the team here at Apex has helped me get into the groove of things with incredible ease and patience. Apex was just voted as one of the “Best Places to Work in Indiana” for the 8thconsecutive year, and since I’ve been here, they’ve done nothing but back-up that accomplishment.

One of the best parts of my experiences here thus far is the general flexibility of my position. Although I’m technically apart of the marketing department, Apex has highly encouraged me to join in on all aspects of the company ranging from HR, to finance, to sales (which is led by fellow Wabash grad, Scott Long ’00). This way, not only am I able to better understand the sheer complexity it takes to run a huge company, but I’m also able to hone in on new skills and talents for future opportunities.

I’ve been working on a number of different projects while being here, one of which is working with Lessonly in downtown Indy. Lessonly is a customer training software that enables employers to create “Lessons” for new employees to take and learn from instead of taking up valuable time in the form of in-person training sessions. Another project is Apex’s 2018 Benchmarking Survey. Apex is the first and only broker in the state to create such an elaborate survey as this. It consists of 140 questions that companies fill out and answer. Then, once all the data is collected, the marketing department is in charge of creating a user-friendly 50-page booklet full of graphs and charts that then enables clients to compare their benefits coverage to the rest of Indiana. I’ve also been able to figure out how to navigate through mass storage software’s that many companies use for saving files and other business related material. Additionally, with the guidance of my boss, Chris Wiggins, I’ve been able to get my hands on different creative software programs like Photoshop, Creative Cloud, and Brainshark.

My time at Apex so far has been both highly beneficial and enjoyable. I’ve been here for just over a month and have already learned more than I had expected to learn for the entirety of the summer – and I’ve still got two months left. I can’t thank the CIBE enough for putting me in touch with this opportunity as well as the great people here at Apex Benefits for making my time as beneficial as it has been. I can’t wait to see what the rest of the summer as in store.