The Flying Circus

Is it bad if I say that I “killed” my history professor?

Yesterday (I would have posted then, but my phone decided to lobotomize itself so I can’t get all my pictures) was the day of the big Wings of Glory game at Dork Club. Wings of Glory, originally called Wings of War, is a strategy game where you control a WWI era fighter plane and try to shoot down the other WWI fighter planes.

It’s a fun game. You get to control old airplanes, what’s not to love?

We started the night by breaking off into two teams: British vs. Germans (no Nazis; they didn’t exist for another twenty years). We didn’t exactly have set deployment zones, but the way we set up would be sufficient. I was in control of a Sopwith Camel (you know, the one Snoopy pretends his doghouse is?) and there were a few German types nearby, as well as another Sopwith Camel. We went after the nearest Fokker triplane (which is what the Red Baron flew, but he was on the other side of the map), and while we chased that one down a big dogfight started on the other side of the map (That’s where the Red Baron was. Professor Morillo, my history professor, was controlling him.)

Here’s the World War 1 Flying Ace. Sadly, the game does not have a piece for him

On my side of the map, me and the other guy quickly chased down and destroyed the triplane we’d spotted (controlled by one of my fellow Kappa Sigs, Rob Barber). On the other side, stuff happened, and quite a few planes took damage. Deciding we were better needed over there, me and the other guy turned and sped over to the big fight. On the way, I happened to run into Morillo’s plane, which had flown out of the fight a bit earlier. As he was in range, I decided to take a shot.

I shot him down.

I shot down my history professor. Hopefully this won’t affect me going into finals. Anyway, The other Germans were shot down in due order, ending that round of play.

Round 2 began, and I found myself up against three German planes… that didn’t go so well. I managed to survive for awhile, but eventually my luck ran out and I got shot down. Poor me. On the other side of the map, Morillo got shot down again, although the Brits took a bit of damage and Morillo’s daughter kept almost flying over the edge of the map. The guys who shot me down went over to try and help, but they got shot down too. So, another win for the Brits.

After that, we packed up and left, mostly because people had other things going on that night/week (like sleep). I got some good pictures, but sadly my phone is kind of dead, so it might be some time before we get to see them.