Over the summer of 2023, I stuck with my gig at the Sorensen Novak Lab, the same place where I’d been working during the school year. The lab’s all about this fancy thing they call LOCKR – basically, a really cool protein that can alter gene expression. Dr. Sorensen and Dr. Novak, the brainiacs in charge, were there to show me the ropes. They helped me figure out how to set up experiments and make sense of all the data. Since I’d already been around the block with the lab stuff, I got to do more things by myself, like coming up with my own experiments.

My days were a mix of planning out experiments and getting my hands dirty with stuff like gene transformation, gene editing, and assays to evaluate results among other things. It might sound like rocket science, but honestly, it is pretty awesome to be able to work on these super advanced biochem techniques even though I’m just an undergrad.

But it wasn’t all about the nerdy stuff. The lab was actually a pretty chill place socially too. I was hanging out with seven other Wabash guys working there, and our two professors felt more like family than anything else. We even did these team-building activities, which, surprisingly, didn’t suck. It was kind of nice to know the people you’re working with.

Looking back, this summer was a mashup of learning some seriously cool science and making friends. Being part of the Sorensen Novak Lab taught me that research can be a thrill and that it’s not only about the science, but also about the awesome folks you’re doing it alongside.