During this summer, I worked as an intern in the combined Biochemistry/Molecular Biology lab. Headed by Dr. Novak (biochem) and Dr. Sorensen (biology), our lab worked on the ongoing LOCKR project. My section of the lab focused on experimenting with C. elegans nematodes.

The true magic of the summer was watching my biology lectures come to life in front of me. I have spent multiple classes learning about the principles we used in the lab. Having some of my lecture material enter the lab vernacular was a pivotal, magical moment for me. I specifically remember a day where I addressed a friend, a younger biology student, about the experiments we were working on and he said, and I quote: “I have no idea what you’re talking about, but it sounds cool.” The level of language we used in the lab was remarkable. I truly felt like we all grew in our understanding of biology in the lab, especially molecular biology. Performing the physical tasks in the lab and understanding the theory behind them was one of the best parts of the lab.

The best part of the lab, without a doubt, was my lab mates. Henry, Cole, Sinko, Will,
Auggie, Precious, and Jojo made the lab infinitely more enjoyable with their presence. I never had a qualm about asking a senior lab member or a professor for help, ever. Coming into work every morning wasn’t a bad thing with such lovely people to be around and work with. I would like to thank all the donors and staff who made this wonderful experience possible. Without their help, I never would’ve been able to experience this summer. And, of course, a heartfelt (and deserved) thank-you is owed to Dr. Sorensen and Dr. Novak. Without their vision and guidance nothing would have gotten done in the lab. They were and continue to be the engine behind the lab.