As an international student who had never been far from home, the experience of my freshman year in the United States, as well as my first summer in Wabash, have gone more than “great”. I fortunately had chances to accompany Wabash Bookstore and the Dean of Student’s Office Internship – Those are meaningful periods for me to meet great people, learn things that I had never known before to grow up day-by-day; feel more responsible, and confident, and expectave about my plans.

To start with my internship at Wabash Bookstore, was a fantastic opportunity for me to work with my friendly supervisor, Mrs. Julia, and my nice co-workers – Mrs. Suzanne, Mr. Nicholas, and Ms. Kelsie. They guided me in learning how to assist with UPS shipping labels, manage the college mailroom, and taught me innovative workspace organization by decorating the bookstore. They also helped me strategize marketing projects within the store by arranging products ranging from Wabash clothing to books. Additionally, they paently mentored me in enhancing my communication skills, providing guidance on proper collocaons and vocabulary for customer-oriented service and retail register operasons. As Mrs. Suzzane often said to me: “Feel free to ask once more about anything unclear to you. It’s preferable to seek clarification rather than beginning a task while sll being uncertain”. This is crucial for me to enhance my English proficiency and interpersonal skills when interacting with new people. Furthermore, I actively took part in the summer inventory process at the bookstore. During this process, we collaborated on item checks, utilized a convenient inventory application for counng, and identified missing items.

“It makes me tired with the number of tasks to do, yet this has been the most enjoyable job I’ve ever undertaken,” is a sentiment I frequently express to others about my internship at the Dean of Students Office. My supervisor, Michael Lynn, and my colleagues share a strong sense of unity in all housing projects, consistently completing our tasks ahead of schedule. Despite facing rainy days or scorching temperatures nearing 96 degrees Fahrenheit, we were still working with Mike and Campus Services in arranging rooms, maintaining facilities in all fraternities and college dorms, and coordinating various on-campus events, including summer camps. I’m truly appreciative of Mike for treating us to pizza and sandwiches, and my colleagues’ sense of humor is infectious, making the work more enjoyable and erasing fatigue almost instantly. While my father owns a small freight transportation company, I had never shied away from physically lifting items and helped him to transport goods when I was at home. However, this internship opportunity with the Dean of Students Office marks the first time I have stepped out of my comfort zone and tested my abilities in a labor-intensive role. It has provided me with an exceptional experience and invaluable lessons like never before.