This summer, I served as RAND’s first undergraduate fellow. In a fellowship with RAND’s Center to Advance Racial Equity Policy (CAREP) in Santa Monica, California, I gained insight into criminal justice research and policy while contributing to several projects – one evaluating diversion programs being implemented in California in terms of effectiveness and impact on racial equity to help provide recommendations for improvement and another creating a model for equity-centered game design. This was my third appointment with CAREP, following two Research Intern appointments during the 2021-2022 academic year. I strengthened my writing and research skills by working on several reports and presenting my research from the three appointments to the CAREP Steering Committee. Working under one of the top DEI officials in the nation, CAREP Director Dr. Rhianna Rogers, I’ve also gained additional insight into what it means to center equity in research and policy – centering the voices of people whose problems I’m hoping to solve and incorporating people with diverse backgrounds and perspectives throughout the research and policy-making process.

One of the most rewarding aspects of this fellowship thus far has been connecting with leaders furthering equity across fields – from the SEO industry to the film industry – to learn how racial equity intersects with various other issues. By meeting these individuals, I got to see who is on the frontlines leading change in these industries, the strategies and philosophies they use to do so, and where they see room for improvement. It also showed me that with intentionality, equity can be incorporated into any mission or goal. Moving forward, I look forward to incorporating an equity-oriented mindset not only into my advocacy but also into my artistic pursuits in fashion design and screenwriting.

I want to extend thanks to Dr. Rhianna Rogers for her mentorship throughout this fellowship, the Coons family for the support of the Coons Grant, and the Obama Foundation’s Obama-Chesky Voyager Scholarship for Public Service for making this summer fellowship possible. It has truly been a transformational experience that has changed how I view research, policy, and change-making.