This Summer the Wabash College and the Goodrich Mathematics department gave me the opportunity to work with the brilliant Dr. Ansaldi on a research project for a future publication. My coworker, Eric Greene, and I spent eight additional weeks on Wabash’s campus to investigate a mathematical concept known as rainbow numbers.

I am happy to say my experience this summer completed subverted my expectations of what mathematical research was and has greatly influenced the direction I want for my future. Firstly, we truly felt like a team. I expected an undergrad research project to feel like a drawn-out game of follow the leader. However, I realized early on this was not the case at all! We were always encouraged to chase our ideas and experience our own discoveries. Every day was a new challenge waiting to be tackled. Some days I felt like I hit a dead end and my coworkers were ready to pickup the pieces and march in a totally new directionI never even thought of. Other times I felt like I trail-blazed my own path from following my gut feelings. We were always encouraged to investigate with our heart first, which led to us achieve everything we set out to do and more.

Rapp ’24 spent the summer on campus with the Goodrich Mathematics department learning how to conduct mathematical research.

While we all shared a common goal of math, some days were just about being. together. All DIV 1 internships shared in a group outing to a baseball game early in the summer. Twice, the math department took time to venture into the wild at Shades and Turkey Run. Through mathematics, I have been able to make connections and friendships I never expected at the start of the summer.

Following this internship, I definitely have gained a greater appreciation for the work that goes into the art of mathematical research. If I am able to study in a Budapest during the springs semesters I will definitely be keeping my eyes out for any student research opportunities. Of course, a very special thank you to Dr. Ansaldi, Eric Greene, and everyone at Wabash who made this possible for a rich and rewarding a summer.

Rapp’ 24 worked with Dr. Ansaldi while conducting research this summer.

semesters I will definitely be keeping my eyes out for any student research opportunities. Of course, a very special thank you to Dr. Ansaldi, Eric Greene, and everyone at Wabash who made this possible for a rich and rewarding a summer