Without the gracious funding provided by Richard J Stephenson class of ‘62, my
experience would not have been possible. I would like to first take a moment to acknowledge
those who worked so hard to provide me with this immense opportunity. Thank you to Mr.
Stephenson, Dr. Stacie J. Stephenson, and their family. Your generosity through the creation of
the Stephenson Institute and award is humbling. Next, I would like to extend my gratitude to Mr.
Lewis McCrary, Cassie Hagan, the Wabash College Business Office, Britt Schier, Dr. Barbra
Kolm, and the Staff of the Austrian Economics Center and Hayek Institute. Because of these
amazing people, I was able to coordinate all travel, housing, and work details.

From May-July I had the unique opportunity to travel to Vienna Austria and work with
the AEC (Austrian Economics Center); an organization that conducts economic research,
releases publications, and works to solve economic issues with a free-market approach. The
internship was both enriching and rewarding. I have learned many things both about myself and
about economics. The internship helped me grow and understand what I want for my future. As
Wabash men, we are challenged to stand TALL. This internship did just that. The ability to study
topics such as Hayek and the Austrian Business Cycle in Austria was surreal. Not only was I able
to foster my economic studies, but I was also able to immerse myself in a very rich and historical
culture.

Franz ’25 spent his summer in Austria conducting economic research and extending his knowledge in economics.

I met many new people and made many new friends.
During my time in Vienna, I completed many projects. I helped conduct research on
various topics such as liberalism, inflation, Aristotelian outlooks on the market, Europe’s energy
crisis, and the effects of COVID-19 and the Russian-Ukranian War. In this, I read many
interesting articles and saw many important speakers. I also wrote my own articles for the AEC
website and Hayek Institute. My native English language allowed me to provide editorial advice
to native German writers. Finally, I assisted with publishing reports on the Free-Market
Roadshow and the European Resource Bank Meeting.

This experience has truly been one of a kind. I want to again thank all the sponsors and
coordinators for their support throughout the summer. There are things in life that people may be
hesitant to try. For me, this internship and travel abroad was one of them. However, I can
honestly say that it was worth it, and I would recommend it to everyone. I am excited to return to
Wabash in the fall as a sophomore and utilize the skills I have learned in Vienna.