Alvarado ’23: The Language Conservancy

To begin I want to thank Dr. Kaplan as well as the rest of the career services office for finding me a fantastic internship with The Language Conservancy in Bloomington. The position had me as a human resources intern, but I did so much more than I thought I would. My time at The Language Conservancy taught me a lot that I did not expect to learn and gave me valuable experiences in just one month. I have learned not only the ins and outs of a modern office, but just how important each piece of a company can be. 

Initially I was rewriting and updating the Employee Handbook and TLC’s current polices on various aspects of their company, such as working from home. Once I finished, they had me moved around from each department which gave me a plethora of valuable experiences. I spent time in logistics organizing and triple checking any all records of shipments as well as item numbers and their various prices. Logistics taught me the importance of record keeping as there was simply just too much information that needed to be organized and checked to ensure that it was correct. Once the logistics department was done with me, the grant department picked me up next for an important project. 

My role in the grant department had me researching grants for indigenous Canadians in Alberta to better help them afford The Language Conservancies learning materials, such as textbooks, posters, and CD’s. Specifically, I was looking for grants that helped fund adult education for indigenous people, so I had my work cut out for me. Reading and searching various databases for any and all opportunities was slow but necessary work. It was important though because if I was successful (and I was) then the PHD students at the company could reach out and write a proposal for a chance at the grant. 

After my job at the grant department was over, I moved back into HR work as TLC was growing from a small company to a medium company, so some important software needed to be updated, specifically QuickBooks. This software allowed them to keep track of any and all of their records online, but one thing stuck out above the rest, timesheets. It was my job to find an affordable software that could integrate with QuickBooks and make it easier for the HR department to successfully keep track of each employees work hours and payroll. This was a bit more difficult, but my time spent on this project gave me a place in the discussion with the executive chair, the supervisor of human resources, and an accountant with the company. 

When I was in-between projects, I was composing a new employee handbook for the company that included the new polices and revised outdated ones. This was a type of internship that all Wabash men should experience as it gives you real-world experience within a modern office that builds upon our skills.