Nicholas Vedo ’19 enFocus – It is difficult for me to put into words all that I have received from my summer internship with enFocus and Saint Joseph health system in South Bend. My summer consulting project was focused on researching the economic and health effects of countywide smoking bans to help St. Joseph county better strategize for implementing their own ordinance in the future. On the side, I did clinical work in the main hospital campus in Mishawaka. Being Pre-Med, this hands-on volunteer time rooming patients and recording vital signs gave me real world experience that I truly enjoyed.

In addition to all of the great experiences I had working, the group of interns I was with made sure that I had a very memorable summer in South Bend. I made great friends from a variety of other schools. We got together numerous times after work hours to explore the booming restaurant and bar scene of the city. I was also very pleasantly surprised to discover the many outdoor parks and recreational areas in the South Bend city area. I am a runner, so having the opportunity to get outside and tear up some pristine forest trails was wonderful. St. Patrick’s park on the north side of South Bend was my favorite and made for an interesting run since it was directly on the border with Michigan running along the edge of the St. Joseph river. A twenty-minute run took me into Michigan and back again to Indiana.

The work environment that enFocus fostered was one of constant innovation and support. I never felt uncomfortable when speaking up for an idea or looked down upon because I was an intern. The executives of the company treated all of us as equals and made sure we knew that our work was a key part of the company’s function and success. The many employee events we participated in were all enjoyable and beneficial for my professional development. One event I enjoyed in particular was the Meet the Fellows event, where enFocus basically held a banquet with all of the clients and donors they have worked with in the past. The company also invited other high ranking members of the county area to come and network with us. I met many new people that day and learned much from the stories they told me.

All in all, my summer internship was a tremendous opportunity that taught me so much. I am extremely grateful for the work of the Wabash College Global Health Initiative and the funding of the SBIF for making this opportunity available to me.