Klay Fullenkamp ’18 Northeast Indiana Regional Partnership Business Development Intern -This summer I had the opportunity of working as the Business Development intern at Northeast Indiana Regional Partnership in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Throughout the duration of my internship I worked with the business development (BD) team completing front-end research for large events they would travel to, such as SelectUSA and Major Markets, and housekeeping details that sorted information scattered throughout their shared company drive into single documents for easier access. My research would assist the BD team with an excel sheet of the attendees of these events and would highlight the companies that fit the seven target industries that the partnership developed as the most prominent industries of northeast Indiana. The things I enjoyed most about my time at Northeast Indiana Regional Partnership were the people I worked with and the work I conducted while I was there for just a brief eight weeks. From day one to my last day I was treated in a first-class manner and that is a testament to the culture in which the employees have created and bought into themselves. I felt like another employee that came to work every day rather than just an intern. The work the partnership does has a large impact on northeast Indiana. I had an idea going in of the work they did, but I came out with a whole new appreciation for what they do, as it can go unnoticed by the public at times. I felt I was able to contribute not only to the partnership during my internship, but to the Greater Fort Wayne area and the eleven counties the partnership encompasses.

Another valuable asset to the partnership is strengths coaching. Prior to my internship, I completed the Gallups Strengths Assessment. Once I began I then received strengths coaching every Friday from my coach Sonya Snellenberger-Holm. I found out more about myself through diagnosing my top five strengths than I ever would have imagined going into it. I now find it much easier to describe myself and understand even more how to sell myself on the assets and skills I possess to future employers. I would especially like to thank CEO and President John Sampson, my manager Sarah Rodriguez, my mentor Ashley Spranger, and strengths coach Sonya Snellenberger-Holm for the time they invested in me and the opportunity presented to learn more about business and economic development. Finally, I would like to thank the Lilly Endowment. Without the generosity of the Lilly Endowment this internship would not have been possible and I am grateful for this opportunity.