This summer, I was afforded the incredible opportunity to work at the Austrian Economics Center in Vienna, Austria. When I first arrived, I didn’t know how much this experience would shape my understanding of economics, policy advocacy, and the importance of individual liberty.

At the Austrian Economics Center, the atmosphere was charged with intellectual curiosity and a commitment to exploring the principles of Austrian economics. From day one, I was welcomed into a community of like-minded individuals passionate about advancing the ideas of free markets, limited government intervention, and individual freedom. This camaraderie fostered an environment where ideas were encouraged to flourish, and discussions often spilled out of formal meetings and into informal conversations over coffee. Everyone I worked with was helpful and always ready to engage in rich conversation or spawn a thoughtful discussion.

One of the highlights of my internship was the exposure to a diverse range of projects and initiatives. I was given the chance to contribute to research projects that examined the economic implications of various policy decisions. Through these projects, I honed my research skills, learning to navigate through complex economic data and distill it into clear and understandable insights. This experience not only expanded my analytical abilities but also deepened my appreciation for economics’s role in shaping the world around us. Some of my areas of concentration included: fiscal policy, monetary policy, EU policy, the Oesterreichische Nationalbank, informal markets, and Hayekian economics.

Another noteworthy aspect of my internship was attending the AEC’s events and seminars. The center regularly hosted prominent economists, policy experts, and thought leaders, allowing interns like me to interact with some of the brightest minds in the field. These events expanded my understanding of economic theory and its real-world applications and allowed me to network with individuals who shared my passion for promoting Austrian economics principles.

At the end of my time with the AEC, I deepened my understanding of economics. I cemented my appreciation for the importance of fostering a society that values individual rights and free market principles. The experience left me with a sense of purpose and a commitment to continue advocating for the ideas I had come to hold dear. I proudly carry my Wabash values wherever I may be. From Crawfordsville, Indiana, to Vienna, Austria, I know my education can take me anywhere.

This opportunity would not have been possible without the generous donors to the Stephenson institute. I send you my deepest thanks. Your generosity inspires me, and I hope one day to give back just as you have. You are the reason this institution is so extraordinary and transformative.