This summer I worked as an undergraduate research intern with Drs. Sorensen and Novak in the Sorensen-Novak Lab (SNL). The SNL team’s focus is a bioactive protein switch named LOCKR (Latching Orthogonal Cage/Key pRotein). Post-translational protein research of this type is the cutting edge of modern biochemistry. It was both an honor and pleasure to engage in this work with my skilled mentors and fellow Wabash interns. Our team was comprised of eight interns, four under Dr. Sorensen with a
research focus on the molecular biology of LOCKR and our model organism C. elegans. The other four interns, including myself, focused on the biochemical facet of the LOCKR molecule.

Biochemistry research is a demanding yet rewarding undertaking. The experience of fully immersing myself in a laboratory environment allowed me to make significant advances in my laboratory skills, research intuition, and foundational biochemistry knowledge. As with many of my Wabash brothers, I plan to pursue a career in medicine. The research experience I have gained has provided me with a fantastic foundation from which I feel confident moving forward into the world of evidence-based medicine. Even beyond research’s fundamental nature in the medical world, I feel that the interpersonal skills and attention to detail fostered in Wabash labs is second to none. I strongly recommend this internship to any student interested in graduate research work or medical school.

I would like to thank my research mentors, Dr. Novak and Dr. Sorensen, for their continued support of my learning and research engagements within both the classroom and the laboratory, especially regarding this summer opportunity. Their combined wisdom and expertise have elicited great strides in my learning that would have been otherwise impossible. Similarly, I would like to thank my summer research colleagues. Whether in moments of frustration with failed experiments, elation at a good result, or even as evening company in the summer housing, the entire team acted as a support network and a strong group of Wabash brothers and friends whom I look forward to working with again in the future.