Coming into this internship I really didn’t know what to expect. As a Spanish major who has little background in public health or any studies related to it, I was anxious. I wasn’t sure if I was fit for what was to come, but I knew I wanted to challenge myself. I made a goal at the beginning of summer to push myself outside of my comfort zone, and as I am typing this, I can proudly say I have accomplished what I set out for. Working for the Montgomery County Health Department (MCHD), I’ve acquired knowledge in multiple fields that I never in a million years would think I’d be doing. The term vector control was never in my vocabulary before this summer, yet now I’ve grasped the importance surrounding tracking mosquitoes and even learning the process behind monitoring their diseases to control the spread. In addition, I have developed some skills in digital design software and executing COVID-19 tests on individuals, while improving a great deal in my interpersonal skills.

My ability to speak Spanish was put to the test many times, as I was placed in the position of a translator for Spanish speaking families. Working close with these families, I developed an even deeper sympathy for them as I was able to see the bigger picture. A community that is rapidly growing here in Crawfordsville, yet everywhere they turn, is another language barrier. It is very tough for a family to settle into a place where they are misunderstood. Being gifted with the opportunity to play the middleman role, helped me better understand the importance of communication and how to make those around you feel comfortable during difficult conversations. Overall, working at the MCHD has made me more confident and excited in pursuing a bilingual career! I want to extend my sincere gratitude to my supervisor

Diamond Teague for hiring me for this position and serving as a great teacher along the way. I would also like to thank Wabash College and the alumni for making this opportunity possible. And lastly, I would like to thank my fellow Wabash Interns for making this journey even more enjoyable.