The Will-Grundy Medical Clinic (WGMC) has offered an amazing internship for me and
many other interns from across the USA. During the internship, I have scribed and shadowed
doctors, worked with an outreach team to help homeless individuals, and worked on projects to
increase the number of clients for the WGMC. For those guys that are interested in this program,
you are not going to be in the clinic every day. However, accompanying the Housing, Healthcare,
and Hope (HHH) team on outreach and intake days is just as rewarding. They are the ones that
work with homeless individuals to find them permanent housing. It is a great program that I have
been able to learn about homelessness, how people enter homelessness, and how they get out of
it.

Although this program did not directly impact my major or either of my minors, I believe it will be beneficial as I apply to medical school. I have been able to work with some retired doctors that are volunteering at the clinic. They helped explain what different diseases and illnesses are and what to look for. One of my favorite quotes that I learned during this internship
is “When men come into the clinic, they are almost never here for just a checkup”. One of the doctors I was working with told me this before we entered a patient’s room. Sure enough, the quote held true, and the appointment ended up lasting longer than we had expected.

I am extremely thankful for the opportunity to be a part of this internship. I am grateful to Jill Rogers and the GHI program for all of the work that was needed to be put into making this internship possible. The team at Will Grundy is an extremely caring group of individuals who are great at explaining their work, how it affects the community, and understanding the clients that they are working with. To any future Wabash students that apply for this position just say yes to any opportunity that they offer you. I promise that you will enjoy it.