Edreece Redmond II ’24 — First, I want to take the time to thank all the gracious donors for providing the funding necessary for me to complete an internship with Purchasing Platform, Inc. through the Center for Innovation, Business & Entrepreneurship (CIBE) at Wabash College this summer. In addition, I would like to extend my thanks to Associate Dean Roland Morin ’91, CIBE Senior Fellow Anthony Mendez ’20, and former CIBE Senior Fellow Alejandro Reyna ’17 for organizing and leading the Business Innovation Program (BIP) this summer.

This summer, I was blessed to have had an incredible experience working with Purchasing Platform, Inc., a start-up out of Chicago, IL. Purchasing Platform, Inc. is a centralized marketplace that leverages buying power of its members while saving businesses time and money. I was a part of the Marketing Department at Purchasing Platform that benefited my overall experience. Throughout the summer, I acquired many different skills working on platforms that I had not previously used while making a difference in their social media presence. I completed many projects throughout the internship and had the opportunity to work with other teams inside the company, so I had a well-rounded view of how each group works and pieces to help the company as a whole.

Throughout the BIP, we examined several Harvard Business School case studies. Various alumni generously sacrificed their time to lead several Harvard Business School case studies. These proved to be very informative, each case study covering a different aspect of a business – marketing, sales, management, finance, entrepreneurship, etc. In addition to gaining valuable information through the case studies, we also went through emotional intelligence training, which worked on our soft skills. On top of this, we participated in educational workshops and exercises such as Excel, LEAN Process Improvement/A3 Thinking, and PowerPoint to improve our technical skills.

As you can see, my experience this summer was informative and productive. I am grateful that I had the opportunity to learn as much as I did and be a part of the BIP this summer.