Daniel Bass ’22 — Through the generosity of the Wabash Public Policy Project (WPPP), my dream to intern for a United States Congressman was made possible this summer. The WPPP’s commitment to student success allows Wabash College’s future leaders to learn the necessary skills to excel in their future careers. I am thankful that WPPP allowed me the opportunity to gain real-world experience by financially assisting me with my summer internship. 

During the course of the summer, I had the honor and privilege of interning in the Champaign District Office of United States Congressman Rodney Davis. Through my internship, I was able to learn skills in communication, constituent correspondence, public policy, and numerous other valuable skills to succeed in a career in government. I was honored to have the opportunity to gain additional knowledge through various Congressional workshops, such as “Crafting Floor Remarks Writing Workshop” & “Communications & Social Media.” 

One of the most rewarding aspects of my internship revolved around the ability to help fellow Illinoisans resolve issues that troubled their daily lives. Whether it be assisting a local veteran, an immigrant seeking citizenship, or a constituent concerned about policies that would impact their lives, the opportunity to provide guidance and assistance allowed me to witness the positive side of government that many people do not see. This internship has motivated and strengthened my passion to strive for a career in our nation’s capital. As a Wabash-educated Gentleman, and through the experiences of my internship, I know that it is our civil duty to continuously strive towards eliminating the divisiveness that plagues our great nation in an effort to improve the lives of all Americans.