Brian Parks ’17 A True YoungLife Leader

On The job photo6 Essential Things that Consist of Being a YoungLife Leader
First off, I just want to thank the Lilly Endowment for giving me this once in a lifetime opportunity of being able to intern for YoungLife. This was the incredible experience and one I will never forget.

Alternate Fundraisers
YoungLife is a non-profit organization so for it to exist funds must be raised. I found three ways to raise funds for YoungLife at Tech. The three were Restaurants, Activities, and Do-It-Yourself fundraisers. I created many proposals for YoungLife for Tech to follow through if they wanted to do a certain fundraiser within those categories.

Alumni Relations
YoungLife Tech has many alumni who are off into the world and doing their own thing, so it’s very important to stay in contact with all the individuals as much as possible. Sam and I created a spreadsheet with all of the former YoungLife affiliates, and we had about 150 total. We also plan to have an alumni reunion between August 1-12.

Job-Shadowing
Being able to job-shadow Christians was perhaps the best experience I encountered throughout the internship. I was able to shadow four wonderful people and experience a day with them at their organizations. I met with Jessica who works with MATS, which is a Missionary Auto Dealership. Tyler Sadek is a financial manager for TEAYS Investments, which invest in farms around the world. Phil Edwards is an assistant pastor at SOMA church; his job is to connect the neighborhood to the church. Lastly, Jack Nikcevich is a regional director for YoungLife, who oversees all YoungLife sites in Indiana and Kentucky.
Public Relations
During the internship, I sat in on a lot of meetings and gatherings with my supervisor. I was able to share my experience in YoungLife to about 50 people. I also talk to donors who support YoungLife about how YoungLife has changed my life and how it has directed to where I am today. I also attended a gathering of urban pastors around Indianapolis, who talk about how all churches must come together to change the community.

Video Project
Tanner Halbeigh and I are in the process of creating a testimonial video to show that the investments and generous donations of our donors are changing kids’ lives every day. We shot footage of B-roll, which consisted of my childhood home, sporting events, community, and much more. This will be a collaboration with myself and Jayion’s (current YoungLife member) testimonies.

Student Relations
I went to the school lunches about 2 to 3 times a week signing kids up for camp and sharing to them about myself. I attended clubs and Bible studies weekly throughout my internship that occurred on Mondays and Fridays. I shared the experience of being a Christian and going to college in front of 30 kids. Nearly every Saturday we would have work days that kids would attend to raise their funds to go camping and I attended nearly all of them. Work days consisted of anything from building a patio to cutting grass.