Pippen ’19 “Wabash, once again, defeats the odds”

George B. Pippen ’19: Smike Wallen Living- Although it is sometimes tough for freshmen in College to get an internship after their freshman year, Wabash, once again, defeats the odds. After my freshman year, I not only landed an internship, but it was paid for by a Wabash internship fund and was in Los Angeles, California.  I can honestly say that I do not know of any institution that has the same opportunities that Wabash Career Services provides. I started out as a timid freshman not knowing the difference between an internship, externship and a spaceship. After a few weeks of getting involved in Career Services programs, I had acquired skills that had allowed me to land virtually any internship that I desired (assuming I had the grades). Sure enough, internship season came along and I applied to those that I thought fit my aspirations. I ended up accepting an internship through Wabash’s Small Business Internship fund (SBIF) working for an alumnus who owns a real estate and design company in West Hollywood.

DCIM999GOPRO

Pippen ’19 enjoys the California sunset with Stark ’19

Now, here I am 5 weeks into my internship realizing the opportunity that I have. Not many freshmen can say they spent their summer developing the essential skills to success while getting paid, in Hollywood. This experience has not only allowed me to grow in a professional aspect, but on a personal level. The purpose of an internship is to help build your resume and to decide if that profession is the one you want to hold onto for the rest of your life. And that is exactly what has been achieved. Learning the in’s and out’s of what it takes to run an extremely successful small business is an opportunity that not many people get to experience, especially at a location across the country. Although I have learned a lot about what it takes to run a small business and how to flip and design new homes, I believe that is not the most important aspect of the whole experience. The fact that I was given the opportunity to live on my own in a place that I had never been before, be given responsibilities that required me to take initiative, and most importantly pushed me to become a more driven, responsible, confident and adventurous person, helps me realize how amazing and unique Wabash College really is. Utilizing Wabash Career Services, in particular, has been a particularly invaluable experience for me, and it has paid off.   Programs, support, and opportunities Things like this Wabash College a special place and one cannot take that for granted.