WM asked our readers:

How do you take care of yourself physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually?

I walk “The Camino.”

I first travelled to Spain in 1978 to study Spanish at the University of Valencia for a semester. Since then I’ve developed a strong passion for everything about Spain.

A few years before my retirement, I learned about the historic pilgrimage called “The Way” or the Camino de Santiago.  This is a historic 500-mile walk across Northern Spain. Pilgrims have been walking this same route for over 1,000 years.

I read many books and my wife and I collected gear and clothing to prepare for our camino.  We started our hike in a small French town in the Pyrenees Mountains, St Jean Pied de Port. We then walked the entire route and arrived in Santiago de Compestela on October 31.

It took us 35 days and we only had one rest day. We averaged 14.4 miles per day. It was a fantastic experience for us.

Anyone who hikes the Camino experiences physical, mental and spiritual aspects of the journey.  Attached are two photos.  T

We had such an amazing experience, my wife and I are walking the camino again this fall, along with my brother (1980 Wabash graduate) and his wife.

Bob Klee ’79