This summer, I had the fantastic opportunity to conduct research with a fellow Wabash student, Dalton Kuhn, under the advisement of Dr. Heidi Walsh. The experience solidified my career interest, and I plan to apply to lab positions and graduate school in the fall. Working with Dr. Walsh was enriching as she offered excellent support and independence as we navigated the research. I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to enhance my lab skills, work with like-minded individuals, and contribute towards finding answers in the field of biological study.

I loved expanding my knowledge of cellular biology and building on what I had previously learned in class. The knowledge gained may have been niche, but I found it intriguing and worthwhile as it has potential implications for future healthcare. I also improved the areas of study with which I needed to familiarize myself. With Dr. Walsh’s background in neuroscience, I learned more about the endocrine system and certain biological factors that have positive or negative effects on it.

By the end of the internship, I was confident in my abilities to grow, split, treat, and analyze cell cultures. A few analytical techniques I am now proficient in include but are not limited to western blot, PCR, and ZOE imaging. In addition to the hands-on research, I learned how to navigate literature databases such as PubMed for supporting research. Focusing on the literature was something I found familiar; however, having read so much, I enjoyed that I could now break down figures and text with little to no difficulty and communicate that to my peers as a presentation.

Though there is much more ground to cover in our research, I am excited to present at the Celebration of Student Research later in the year and communicate what I spent my summer working on with faculty and peers alike. I plan to pick up where we left off as an independent study through the academic year and further my contribution to our findings. I thank my lab partner, Dalton Kuhn, for his cooperation and dependability throughout the internship and endless entertainment in the lab. I want to thank Dr. Walsh for her encouragement and gradual trust to work independently after getting our feet wet. Thanks to the donors and sponsors who made this summer experience possible.