Riley Woodward ’22 — First, I want to thank the Career Services Office and the Center for Innovation, Business & Entrepreneurship (CIBE) at Wabash College for connecting me with Schillings. Also, I want to thank the gracious donors for funding my internship and making it a reality. My experiences this summer will pay dividends and will help me with my career in the future. Experiencing firsthand corporate legal is not something many undergraduate students have the opportunity to obtain. I have already proudly discussed my duties this summer with professionals in my community and will continue to advocate for more students to have meaningful opportunities like this.

Schillings is a 75-year-old, family-owned business with multiple locations in Indiana and Illinois, with a headquarters in St. John, IN. I assisted in a significant overhaul of the Employee Manual, which required researching statutory requirements in both Illinois and Indiana. They communicate with multiple departments concerning company policies. Additionally, I worked closely with the General Counsel Kevin Hunt’ 01 on analyzing ways to improve efficiency in various departments. I further investigated corporate structuring options and prepared reports for the CEO.
Furthermore, I spent time working closely with the human resource department. I sat in and participated in several live-in-person interviews and orientations. I helped store management set up and execute employee and customer appreciation days, serving over 1,000 residents and contractors.

I want to thank General Counsel Kevin Hunt ’01 for reaching out to Wabash College to seek a student with legal aspirations. General Counsel Kevin Hunt ’01 made sure to let me in on many different projects, including some associated with Schillings land development division. After researching environmental issues, using the GIS, and attending city planning commission meetings, I am highly interested in doing similar work in the future. General Counsel Kevin Hunt ’01 is a great leader and indeed an outstanding alum. All in all, I am excited to use the connections I made this summer in the future!