Peller ’13: Insight to Running a Small Business

Adam Andrews '12, Tyler Hardcastle '15, Andrew Shelton '03, J.J. Peller '13

J.J. Peller ’13 – Thanks to the Small Business Internship Fund program, I have a great opportunity this summer to work and learn at Paramount Molded Products, Inc. in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.  Paramount was acquired less than a year ago by Wabash College ’03 alum Andrew Shelton.  Paramount is a plastic mold injection company that produces molded products for clients in many different industries.

In just a few weeks, I have learned a tremendous amount about the production process, the marketing strategies, and the customer relations that are vital to running the business.  Though I had preconceptions about the amount of hard work that is required to run one’s own business, I now see first hand the realities of it.  Andrew has helped me to begin understanding the thought process necessary for a business owner.  He is constantly thinking about the next several steps he needs to take in order to grow his company.  Andrew often sits and talks with Tyler (Tyler Hardcastle ’15 is also doing an internship with Paramount this summer through the SBIF) and me about what he’s thinking, why he’s thinking that way, and how putting those ideas into action will benefit Paramount.

Adam Andrews, who graduated from Wabash this past May, did an internship through the SBIF a couple summers ago working with Andrew’s company TrackPack Coolers in Indianapolis, IN. Adam moved down to Ft. Lauderdale two weeks ago to begin his career as National Sales Representative for Paramount Molded Products. Since he already has experience with TrackPack, he has been able to help Tyler and me learn more about how that business operates. We’ve reviewed sales sheets, talked about how he pitches products to retailers, and we are currently looking at the marketing of TrackPack.

It’s been an interesting summer internship so far. I have learned a lot in the few weeks that I’ve been here and I expect to continue to increase my knowledge as I progress through the remainder of the internship. I know what I gain from this internship experience will help me to succeed in whatever career I undertake after I graduate from Wabash next May. The Wabash College SBIF provides an invaluable opportunity for students to immerse ourselves in business in order to be better prepared for the competitive jobs that we want to pursue after we finish our studies at Wabash.

Underclassmen who read this, take full advantage of these funded internship opportunities as you go forward with your Wabash career. SBIF presents opportunities that we probably would not have otherwise had available to us if we were not at Wabash. Thanks to the SBIF program and Andrew Shelton for providing me the opportunity for this learning experience.

J.J. Peller
Wabash College ‘13