Kyle Morgan ’17 – Teaching at Kenwood Academy High School has been incredible because it has been unlike any other teaching experience I have ever done. I have had the opportunity to teach classrooms that have more diversity than any other classes. My host teacher teaches African American History, which is something I have limited experience in.

Another new experience for most of the guys was public transportation.

I will openly admit I was nervous about teaching in a school that is more than 90 percent black because all of my teaching experiences come from rural areas in Indiana and Illinois. Yet, I can honestly say that my Wabash education fully prepared me for the challenges. On my very first day I led discussions on stereotypes facing urban students and specifically African American males. This led further into discussions about what students here in Chicago know about rural Illinois and the stereotypes that exist about where I come from. From there, we as a class explored solutions that could possibly help solve those problems. My students had the opportunity to learn about my background as well. I told them that I have little experience with diversity but was very excited to learn from them as well as teach them things that I know. They were very receptive and open to my experiences and what I bring to the classroom. I know my host teacher was very excited to have a young teacher in her classroom, and I brought a new way to connect with students, who I am not that much older than.

This has been an incredibly rewarding experience because not only have I experienced a new classroom setting with a fresh set of challenges, but I have enjoyed  doing it. I have received so many wonderful compliments from students and teachers at Kenwood, which has made my experience worth it. This experience has reassured me that I want to teach children someday and maybe even here in Chicago.