Trevor Poe ’13 Understanding the Legal Aid Society

Working at Legal Aid Society has made for an exciting and enlightening summer.  Legal Aid provides non-profit legal work for the disadvantaged inLouisville,KY(JeffersonCounty) and 14 surrounding counties.  This includes work in such fields of law as foreclosure, divorce, and state benefits.  Growing up in Southern Indiana, I thought of Louisville as some kind of far off metropolis, and getting to move home and work downtown has felt like the realization of a childhood dream.  My internship helps to pull back the curtain on both the Louisville metro area and the mysterious workings of the American legal system.  As a result, my job helps to expand my interest regarding a career in law, and open my eyes to the importance of the legal system in our lives.

During my time here, I have met both lawyers and law students, and my conversations with them serve as an important resource regarding my decision to pursue a career in law.  Our Executive Director, Wabash College Alumnus Jeff Been, serves as an example of Wabash’s ability to prepare men for the workplace.  His career advice and his help acclimating to my new position at Legal Aid prove to be some of the most valuable assets of my internship.

Certain information cannot be found in books, the classroom, or on the internet, and the Small Business Internship Program enables me to learn through workplace experience.  From my close vantage point, I observe the ins and outs of the legal profession.    It did not take long to learn that far more aspects of the legal profession exist than what appears on Law and Order.  An entire office mechanism made of lawyers, paralegals, and administrative assistants, works to assist the wheels of Justice.  During one of my visits to deliver legal documents at the Hall of Justice in Louisville, I saw for myself the expansive size of this judicial apparatus working within the American legal system.  Without the Small Business Internship Fund I might never have learned about this necessary aspect of our society.

However, my experiences have not centered solely on law.  The internship teaches me a great amount about working in an office setting.  This allows me to apply some of my knowledge acquired at Wabash, such as proficiency with Microsoft Excel, towards my work here at Legal Aid.  Just yesterday, I assisted in writing a press release for our upcoming legal clinics during the months of August and July.  I felt proud knowing that my work went to some of the local newspapers and television stations. These kinds of lessons show me that while it is very important to work both well and diligently, it is also important to enjoy the moment.  Also, events, such as our ice cream social, have done a great deal to add to a feeling of enjoyment and camaraderie in the office.

Starting the second half of my internship I have a much better understanding of a career path following my graduation from Wabash.  I know that the rest of my time here at Legal Aid Society will prove to be just as fruitful as my first month.  Monday I will be shadowing a member of our team to eviction court, and I hope to learn a great deal from the experience.  My work at Legal Aid Society pushes me towards pursuing a career in law, as I am about to start my fourth and final year at Wabash College.