Luke Rowles ’19 Huntbridge, Inc –First and foremost, I would like to thank Wabash College and the Lilly Endowment for the opportunity to grow both personally and professionally this summer as an associate at Huntbridge, Inc. I would be remiss if I did not take the time to thank my boss, Jeff Perkins ’89, as well. Each day working for him is a unique and rewarding challenge. He demands excellence, pushing me to go above and beyond; for that, I am grateful.

Huntbridge, Inc. is an executive search firm headquartered in Washington, D.C. As the Founder and CEO, Mr. Perkins has done business with notable companies: Amazon, Cisco, Discovery, NPR, and Microsoft – just to name a few. As a result, he has a powerful and diverse network of which I have had the privilege of utilizing. These are priceless connections that I would not have gained without this internship.

As an associate at an executive search firm, each day is a little different. Our primary client this summer has been Indiana Biosciences Research Institute (David Broecker ’83). We have been working diligently to fulfill their roles of Senior Vice President of Development & Partnerships and Director of Research Operations. This involves networking, screening and interviewing candidates, and a lot of behind-the-scenes work in order to present the best of the best to our client.

Beyond our current search, business development has been a critical component of my daily routine. I am responsible for cultivating relationships and bringing more business through the door. Through extensive research, I find companies that have open executive positions. By leveraging our network, I find a contact and reach out to them; cold calls, cold emails, and LinkedIn messages. I introduce myself and our company, express my interest in their company and their open position, and explain how we can help. Outside of executive searches, we also perform large staff-ups, which is when a company has multiple lower-level positions to fill. This usually happens when a company opens a new facility or moves their headquarters, and it involves a similar outreach process.

As a result of my efforts, there is promising potential for future business with two Fortune 500 companies. Additionally, I am writing a speech for Mr. Perkins on the future of technology and executive search, which has been an arduous and fascinating task.

This experience has been invaluable in many regards. As a college student, the future can be intimidating. You are worried about many things: Did I choose the right major? Am I on the right career path? Is this what I want to do with my life?

First and foremost, I would like to thank Wabash College and the Lilly Endowment for the opportunity to grow both personally and professionally this summer as an associate at Huntbridge, Inc. I would be remiss if I did not take the time to thank my boss, Jeff Perkins ’89, as well. Each day working for him is a unique and rewarding challenge. He demands excellence, pushing me to go above and beyond; for that, I am grateful.

This experience has been invaluable in many regards. As a college student, the future can be intimidating. You are worried about many things: Did I choose the right major? Am I on the right career path? Is this what I want to do with my life? In my opinion, the best way to answer these questions, to become confident in your future (and yourself), is to take advantage of every opportunity that you can. Get outside of your comfort zone. Explore and learn and grow. As Albert Einstein said, “A ship is always safe at the shore, but that is not what it is built for.”

I’ll be honest and admit that this is not the career for me. I am not disheartened, though, because this just means that I’ve narrowed down my options; I am now one step closer to finding the career that is for me. Furthermore, this internship has provided me with great memories, enriched skills, and an upgraded network. It has taught me how to budget and live on my own. It has shown me what it takes to survive in the business world. It has reinforced the importance of building meaningful relationships. These are all things that will pay dividends in the future.

Wabash College is unrivaled in her ability to turn men into skilled sailors, and I am proud to call myself a Little Giant.

I want to do with my life? In my opinion, the best way to answer these questions, to become confident in your future (and yourself), is to take advantage of every opportunity that you can. Get outside of your comfort zone. Explore and learn and grow. As Albert Einstein said, “A ship is always safe at the shore, but that is not what it is built for.”