Pierce Van Houten ’20 U2 Solutions – This summer I was given the opportunity to work with a company called U2 Solutions Corp. I owe many thanks to The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation for investing in my education and my future. U2 Solutions Corp. deals with unmanned aeronautical systems, or more widely known as unmanned drones. Over the last month, I have been researching the history of drones, learning the technical terms for the controls of the drones, flying the drones, taking pictures and videos of events, editing the pictures and videos, making one big slideshow-type presentation from the pictures and videos, and submitting the final presentation to the client.

Drones are a rapidly growing industry right now, and there are so many different uses for drones that I never knew about until I started my summer internship. For example, drones can be used to analyze crop fields and make a “prescription” to help maximize the growth of crops. Drones can even point out weak spots in the soil or spots in the field where a farmer may need to add more fertilizer. Also, drones can be used to analyze power lines or perform routine checks on tower-like power structures. Drones are much more efficient at performing these routine checks and they eliminate the risk of serious injury or even death to people who climb these power structures to do routine checks. There are so many more uses for drones and I will discuss a couple different ones I used during my internship.

Before I started flying drones for U2 Solutions Corp, I had to research the history of drones and learn some of the general guidelines enforced by the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration). I learned a lot of interesting facts in my research. One fact I found most interesting is that Joseph P. Kennedy, brother of President John F. Kennedy, died in a crash while flying a drone on the first mission of Operation Anvil in 1944. After I did my research, I started studying to get my Part 107 pilot license so I could fly. I had to study for this for two days straight and then take the test on the third day. I learned things like how to read aviation maps and how to read METAR (Meteorological Aerodrome) and TAF (Terminal Aerodrome Forecast) reports which deal with flying conditions/weather. I also learned that lithium polymer batteries commonly used in drones have to be charged and discharged properly. I plan on majoring in chemistry and this past semester I learned all about lithium batteries, so I was familiar with it already.

After earning my pilot license, I flew for the Roselawn Little League. I took videos and pictures of the softball and baseball games. Then, I edited the videos and pictures and put them into one video and burned it on CD’s for parents and fans to watch. One of my favorite experiences so far has been making a 50th wedding anniversary video from pictures and videos I took at the event with a handheld drone camera called the Osmo.

It has been an amazing experience to intern with U2 Solutions Corp. Again, I would like to thank the Mellon Foundation and Wabash College for giving me this wonderful opportunity.