Daniel Miller ’17 – Today we started our Immersion experience. From the moment we stepped off the plane we knew we were not at little Wabash College anymore. Some highlights from today were going to all the great Basilica’s throughout the city and seeing the Pantheon. The paintings in the church’s are extraordinary. The enormous amount of wealth accumulated by the churches here is just something that you can not put into words.
I was especially impressed with the paintings on the ceilings of many of the church’s. It’s the little things that make the biggest difference in the buildings. Going to the Pantheon was another wonderful experience. The sheer size and beauty is something everyone should witness in their own eyes. It was also wonderful to see the tomb of Raphael in the Pantheon. He is one of my mother’s favorite artists and I know his work well. The fact it is just wedged into the middle of the city makes it look even more impressive.
At the Pantheon I also had my first Gelato which was the best desert I have ever had. To end the day we ate at a Pizzeria. It was the best Pizza I have ever consumed. The sausage is nothing like I have ever had. It also was a great time to hangout with the guys and unwind after the long day. I look forward to going to Ostia and the Vatican in the coming days. This week is going to be an experience I will never forget.