Wabash guys went to top of Empire State Building for this view.

John Vosel ‘ 15 – Our first day in New York has been quite exciting. I have never been before, so everything is quite surreal and I am thinking about everything “New York” I’ve ever known. The ride in went smoothly and we had no complications getting to our location and having our rooms situated. We have not gone into any galleries yet, given that it’s a Sunday, but we are about to go have dinner with Trustee Bill Wheeler this evening.

Students in NYC with Art Professor Elizabeth Morton.

We have been sight seeing around the town and getting comfortable in the neighborhood of Chelsea, where our Hostel is located. We walked around the area and Dr. Morton pointed out a lot of the local galleries and artists’ studios. We also went to the Empire State Building, which was absolutely stunning. Using our New York passes we got to the top efficiently, and were able to take many quality photos. Something I find very intriguing about New York as a whole so far is the graffiti everywhere. Some see it as a form of self-expression, and others associate it with vandalism and gang violence. Whether it is or not, a lot of it is quite beautiful and adds some serious character to the architecture.

Today, the eight of us guys stopped into Bravo’ Pizza for some giant slices. It was pretty reasonable and run by Italians, sort of old fashioned. It was deep-dish and delicious, and I hope to experience some more of the famous “New York Pizza.”

– Photos by Scott Hastings ’15