Kim Johnson – I celebrated Labor Day weekend a week early this year. Saturday, August 23, David and I welcomed Paige Kathleen Johnson into our family. She is truly a blessing and perfect in every way. (I know, I know. Every new mom says that.)

As I watched her sleep her first night home I wondered if I had done everything I could in preparing for her arrival to make sure she would be healthy and safe.

Would she be okay her first night in a strange “new” place? Was I feeding her enough? Was I giving her enough attention but not so much that she couldn’t establish her own patterns and independence?

Okay, probably over analyzed that last one, but at 3:00 a.m. as I write this, it seems everything gets a little over analyzed.

My thoughts turned to Paige’s future and what that might look like and then, not surprisingly, my mind turned to Freshman Saturday at Wabash. I couldn’t help but think of all the moms celebrating and remembering their “Labor Days” a week early.

Like me, they have spent countless hours in anticipation of this big day – letting go. There were celebrations and much preparation. But regardless of the time and energy spent prior to the “big day” there is no way to fully prepare for the bittersweet moment of the next step. Their little boys are now men.

No doubt the moms at least a few of the 256 freshmen spent the first night away wondering have I done everything I could to help prepare him for this day? How was his first night in the dorm/fraternity? Is he getting enough to eat? Should I call and check on him or let him initiate the first call?

Hmm. Funny how life works. We think we get our answers and find we’re right back where we started.

Happy Labor Day moms! I’m going to savor the moment because I know in the blink of an eye it will be Paige’s Freshman Saturday somewhere.