Tyler Yoder ’15 – So with our last night in Chicago winding down, it is time to look back on our experiences today and throughout the week. Teaching this week in Chicago has been life changing in multiple ways, and I feel like all of us have taken home some valuable lessons.

Even though I have already completed the student teaching portion of my licensure, I was still excited to get this new experience teaching in a large urban school. What I found is that there are tons of ways teachers can effectively instruct their students around the restrictions that teaching in an underfunded school district can bring. I’ve found that the passion that these teachers have for their students is beyond amazing, and it’s something that future teachers should absolutely look to for inspiration.

Being in a school like this in practice is very different from simply discussing urban school in a seminar at Wabash. When you’re in the school, your words and your actions could have real world consequences, so the way that you try to bond with your students is incredibly important, and it could influence how students view you for years to come.

Getting to eat dinner with some alumni in the area who are involved with schools nearby was an eye-opening experience. Hearing some of their stories about their practices, their schools, and themselves can paint a picture of what a successful teacher for an urban school looks like, and they have great advice for anyone willing to listen.