Josh Tapper ’16 – Have you ever met with a PAC before? Have you ever been able to tour the FBI?  If you answered no to either one of those previous questions, I am sorry, and if you ever get the chance you should do so.  Luckily, this small group of Wabash men was able to do both of those things in the same day.  Washington D.C. is very fast paced and it seems that everyone is constantly doing something and that rings true so far for us.

Prof. Sara Drury's class at the FBI Headquarters in D.C.,
Prof. Sara Drury’s class at the FBI Headquarters in D.C.,

We started our Tuesday off by meeting with Joseph Pounder, President of the America Rising PAC.  While in our meeting we were able to learn how tools such as thinking critically are put into use in the real world, mainly politics in this case.  In this meeting we learned what the benefits of close research and application of minor details can do to either make or break a certain candidate’s run for office.  It is interesting when meeting with groups such as America Rising to note that we may not be electing a President this year, but regardless the effort to secure a spot for your candidate to be on top never ends.  It was also nice to get a helpful reminder to be careful about what you post on social media, because that stuff is never fully gone whether you think it is or not.  As you can now see this meeting with America Rising was helpful in multiple areas, and definitely was able to get a good amount of us to ponder our future.

Everybody knows what the F.B.I. is and hopefully if you ever encounter the Federal Bureau of Investigation, you’re not the one being investigated.  Thankfully, we were not in contact with the F.B.I. for negative reasons, but rather we got one of a few rare tours that are given out these days.  We started out at noon by getting to see a brief firearms demonstration that was definitely able to keep us all on the edge of our seats.  The F.B.I. must really know how to grab the attention of young men between the ages of 18-20 if they start out with something like that.  We met with a few different people from the Bureau and learned some pretty interesting things.  One of the coolest things that I personally learned is that the F.B.I. is not looking for people right out of college.  The F.B.I. prefers to have a well – rounded person like the education at Wabash promotes.  If anybody is reading this and you are under the age of 30 and think you may have some interest in the F.B.I., diversify your resume.  At the end of the day organizations such as the Federal Bureau of Investigation are so successful because they don’t just look for anybody to work for them, but they truly do look for people who are the best of the best.

All is going well here in the nation’s capital.  We have all been given opportunities to do many things that will help further our education in and out of the classroom.  My spring break is quite interesting so far, and I’m sure it will only get better.  If you ever get the chance you should make sure you visit D.C. too.