Whitaker is on the far right, in the green.

Joe Whitaker ’19 – “Things are going really well in South Bend. I’ve been working with Latorya Greene on two major projects. For the first project, I compiled a list of all of the bars in St. Joseph County and I collected info regarding their smoking policies, their structural layout, and any thoughts they might have on going smoke-free. For the second project, I’ve been preparing Indiana Tobacco Quit-Line information packets and delivering them to all of the physicians in network. On Friday’s I work as a volunteer at the family medicine clinic in the St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center. I do simple things like getting patient’s vitals, cleaning rooms, and restocking supplies, but it’s great to meet people and see the variety of patients that come through the door.

In addition to my two projects, I also do community outreach events where I educate St. Joseph County citizens on the dangers of all forms of tobacco and I help get signatures for a petition. The petition advocates for two things: an increase in the purchase age of tobacco products from 18 to 21 and an increase of the cigarette tax by $1.50. I’ve had to do a lot of

Whitaker on the right in green

information seeking to be able to defend these two proposals but in educating myself I’ve really come to believe in the work we’re doing here. The community outreach programs have really influenced the way I view public health and those individuals who can slip through the cracks of the healthcare system. Ultimately, I’ll take the information I’ve learned here and I’ll carry it forward with me as I begin my career as a health professional.”

Joe is interning with the St. Joseph Health System in South Bend, Indiana.