Kim Johnson – I always enjoy the opportunity to talk about Wabash men doing great things in the community. The last couple weeks have given me several chances to do just that.

A few days ago I had the pleasure of accompanying my husband to the Tau Kappa Epsilon house during the lunch hour for a check presentation. The brothers of the Alpha Alpha Chapter at Wabash College had raised $724.20 for Montgomery United Fund For You (MUFFY) selling Monon Bell coins in the fall. David, the Executive Director, went to accept the check and thank the gentlemen for their service and contribution to the organization.

“The men of TKE have demonstrated that any group of individuals has the capacity to make a difference in the community if they put forth the effort,” said Johnson.

Jason Kwon TKE Philanthropy Chair stated, “We value our local community and the support it has for us. I think I can speak for all of us in saying that we consider ourselves citizens of this county and want to do as much as we can to help.”

In addition to the good work of the men of TKE, the brothers of Lambda Chi Alpha presented a check yesterday for $500 to the Montgomery County Boys and Girls Club.

The Alpha Kappa Zeta chapter at Wabash College hosted a roast of Religion and Philosophy Professor Stephen Webb Religion to raise money for the Boys and Girls Club. After the event, the men decided as a chapter to make a matching gift as well raising the total to $500.

“We have an ongoing service project with the Boys and Girls Club,” said Jake Peacock External Vice President for Lambda Chi Alpha. “We visit the club twice a week to spend time with the kids. In addition, several of our brothers coach basketball and soccer there.”

Sometimes by being on campus and interacting with Wabash men everyday I take for granted that this is what Wabash men do. But, unless I (or someone else) take a minute to give them a much-deserved pat on the back, it goes largely unnoticed.

It’s not just the money they donated. It’s the thought, the planning, and the labor behind those dollars that impresses me most. Others may say “I have too much to do.” Or “I’m not from this community, why bother.” But these men have gone out of their way to do something meaningful.

While I know the men of Tau Kappa Epsilon and Lambda Chi Alpha do not do these things to seek fame or accolades, and I know service is not limited to these two groups of individuals, as a member of the Crawfordsville community, I tip my hat and thank them for the efforts they have made to make their home away from home a little better.

Photo above right, MUFFY Executive Director David Johnson, Tau Kappa Epsilon Philanthropy Chair Jason Kwon ’11, and Chapter President Leon Back ’11

Photo above left, Lambda Chi Alpha member Jake Ezell ’11, Boys and Girls Club Executive Director Craig Reeves, Vice President Jake Peacock ’12, and member Samer Kawak ’11, photo courtesy of Jake Ezell.