Howard W. Hewitt – For the past several summers I’ve hit the road to visit students or alumni around the country or state.

I made my first trip last week to see Steve Stambaugh ’09 who has a Lilly Endowment funded internship at St. Vincent’s Hospital with Scott Benedict ’98 (pictured with Stambaugh) and Terry Hamilton.’89.

It’s always fascinating to see the interaction between current students and alumni and rewarding to hear the stories of the students’ success.

The two alums hosted Jon Miller ’08 last summer in the internship and had him concentrate on competitive market pricing for hospital vendors. Miller’s work led to significant savings. Stambaugh told me during our visit that he’s learned more in his weeks with the two alums at St. Vincent’s than he could ever learn in eight semesters at any college.

This week it’s off to Fort Wayne. I’m visiting a student interning with an alum and two students holding down very different but quite interesting summer jobs.

All of these stories will turn up on the website as student profiles in the coming weeks. The first-hand visits are as good a testimony to our alumni relations and the dynamic things our students do as anything I’ve seen at Wabash College.