Jim Amidon — Once I swallowed the last of the tail feathers, the crow I had eaten didn’t taste all that bad.

See, almost a year ago I wrote a piece in Wabash Magazine that featured Julian Moureaux. In that article I wondered how Wabash’s brilliant world music ensemble, Wamidan, would hold up after Julian’s graduation. Artistic Director James Makubuya was quick to point out that while Julian was a key part of Wamidan, the group was made up of dozens of dedicated musicians — and Wamidan, thanks for asking, would be just fine. New leaders would emerge, he said.

He was right. Wednesday’s show was a 50-minute, edge-of-your-seat, foot-stomping good time. Lots of new faces did emerge, and familiar old faces looked more confident on their unusual instruments. There’s joy in that African music and there was joy on the faces of the performers. Check out the photos by clicking here.

I simply can’t imagine a better way to spend an hour than going to a Wamidan concert. The show was tight and featured an array of ensembles and dancers. And once again, Reynaldo Pacheco thrilled the audience with his singing voice when he performed a French tune L’Hymne a l’amour. (My wife and I have agreed to pay Rey any amount of money to sing for us; heck, we’d pay to hear him read the newspaper with that voice.)

And it’s family entertainment at its best. With child performers Brian Thompson, Jake Feller, and Robin Morillo bringing down the house, Wamidan literally offered something for everyone.

James, you were right. Wamidan is doing just fine. And I can’t wait for the spring concert!