Susan Cantrell – To satisfy my own curiosity, as well as gather information for a profile on the Wabash Web Page, I looked forward to interviewing Scott Crawford, the new Career Services Director. He is doing a job that is so important for our students.

Our meeting was not disappointing. Crawford is full of ideas. Practically all I had to do was ask what he had in mind for the Schroeder Career Services Center and his responses came flying out. To say the Career Services operation should be multi-faceted is an understatement, if ever there was one. The people in the office have to be in contact with business, graduate schools, non-profit employers, the military and other organizations. They have to run a protocol school, an editing desk, a counseling service, and a marketing operation, both for our students and their prospective employers.

Getting students, even seniors, to consult Career Services is not always easy, but Scott Crawford has come up with an idea for this, as well as for most other challenges he and his office face. What is the one sure way to get the attention of college students? Food. And plenty of it. What is the Career Services Office sponsoring the first Sunday evening when all students are back on campus for the second semester? A chili supper.

When I heard that, I felt confident Career Services has some good days ahead.