Coaching in their DNA

Rusty Nichols '63

Rusty Nichols ’63

I caught this photo of Rusty Nichols ’63 at our most recent basketball game versus Wooster.  Rusty found a space up behind the students where he could watch…and pace…and do a little mental coaching, I’ll bet.  He spent the first half up there….doing what all coaches do.

rusty-8896

Mac Petty H’82

Rusty wasn’t the only one there.  Mac Petty H’82 also attended…as he almost always does.  He has that same seat…last row next to the camera guys.  I caught this one as the team was finishing a time out.  I am pretty sure Mac was doing a little mental motivation as well.

There is a part of me that feels like I was trespassing when I took those shots.  I thought back to the football team at Arlington…and standing to the side by myself at the Tomb of the Unknowns.  I was there…but I was occupied.

Rusty and Mac were occupied as well.  But the bottom line is pretty simple – they care…deeply.  Sure there’s the coaching DNA…for sure.  But those two guys also love Wabash and the student-athletes who represent Wabash on the court.  They have both been there…it is, and will be, forever a part of them…