Andrews ’15 Embracing Florence, Italy

Tyler Andrews ’15 – (written June 25) From the beautiful, historic streets of Florence, I write to you a simple message: There is no place on earth that equals the beauty, variety, and creativity that is Italy.

Two weeks into my summer study abroad program in Florence, Italy, I am having the time of my life. I was very nervous at first as to whether I would even be able to study abroad. I was fortunate enough to hear about the Rudolph Scholarship, and have now been able to study abroad without fear of financial woes. If you are unsure of whether you should study abroad or not, stop thinking. It is a must and it is life changing.

Andrews with fellow students in Florence.

My program includes studying painting and Italian in an art cultural center of the world. Enrolled at the Accademia Italiana, an award-winning design school on the south-side of Florence, I have classes 4 days a week, in varying locations. Not just in the classroom, but also on the banks of the Arno River, in the Boboli Gardens, on roof terraces, and everywhere imaginable. And the learning does not just happen during class time. Living in the heart of Florence, you are forced to get accustomed to the pace of the city (slow at times, 100 miles an hour at others-specifically when Italy is playing for the World Cup). Shopping for groceries becomes a scavenger hunt all of its own and is quite enjoyable. Actually, shopping of all sorts here is fantastic. Your local market might be just a few doors down from the Gucci and Prada stores where guards dressed in Armani suits keep shoppers from stealing the thousand euro purses that sit just inside the front doors.

Within Florence, I have now toured the Uffizi museum (where I was lucky enough to join the visiting Wabash Alumni group and got a special private tour of the Vasari Corridor. 200-plus self portraits of famous Italian painters? Not bad at all. Seriously, the Wabash Mafia runs deep…

I will keep you all updated, but here is the key: Italy is the greatest country on earth to visit, and Florence is the greatest citta (city) on earth to visit. I have found paradise and I sincerely hope that all of you who read this either plan to study abroad, have signed up, or studied abroad in the past. The United States only has so much to offer. Europe, specifically Italy, has history that we cannot even comprehend. To everyone out there, Ciao! And benvonuto to my blog about the great adventure that is Italy.