Troy Meyers ’13: Internships can lead to Jobs

Troy Meyers ’13 – Why do students get summer internships? This question yields two answers. One response is because all students want to make money over the summer. Which is 100% true. No one wants to be stuck at Wabash with no money to buy books or other items used during the weekend to pass time! The second answer to my question is students want to find a career path that interests them and possibly obtain a job because of their internship. Luckily for me, and thanks to the Small Business Internship Fund,  I have been able to accomplish both!

Working for Tim Craft ’00 at CBRE, commercial real estate company, has surpassed all my expectations and provided me with opportunities I could not have foreseen. Being my second summer with Tim, he was adamant about making this summer’s experience comparable to being a newly employed real estate agent. For this to happen, I spent the first month of the summer getting my real estate license so I would not be prohibited from doing all the tasks of a broker.

Once I got started, Tim told me this summer was about building my book of business and getting potential clients. I quickly learned why some people hate “cold calling”! Spending most of your day getting blank stares from people or getting rejected is not ideal for most, but meeting that one person who listens to you and becomes your best client is what keeps you going. I enjoyed being able to talk to so many people and build relationships with potential clients.

In one circumstance, the client needed to relocate but was unsure where would be the best fit. With the help of Tim, I am in the process of moving her into a better location that will allow her business to grow. Not only was it a win for her, it provided me with the experience of the transaction and a nice bonus to take care of those school expenses!

Now that the summer is coming to an end, Tim wants to meet with the office manager and get me lined up to for a job with CBRE upon graduation in May 2012!