Adam Boehm ’15: Project & Event Management

Adam Boehm ’15 –Within my first couple days of interning with Career Services I was told to make a LinkedIn account.  Simple.  I began as I would with any other social media account by filling out my personal information and writing a brief bio.  In the Job Title line for my current position I entered “Project & Event Management Intern”.  The description for the position, well… that was unknown to me.  To be honest, I had very little knowledge of what I would be doing for the summer.  I was told to leave this description section blank until I knew more of what I was doing with the internship.  Now, over two months into the job, the description is still blank.

With the time I’ve spent under the direction of Scott Crawford, James Jeffries, and Angie Bridwell, I now have a much stronger grasp of what I am doing, as well as a much greater appreciation for everything the Career Services department does for the Wabash community.  From exploring a college owned area in the woods known as “The Patch”, managing the department’s social media, and editing resumes, to connecting with alumni, planning a trip to Chicago, and organizing the 7th Annual Wabash College Community Fair, I have definitely stayed busy.

I have many responsibilities working as a Project & Event Management Intern.  In the first week of work I went through Peer Career Advisor training.  This training was an essential part of my internship, as it not only taught me valuable skills involving resume editing and career advising, but also helped to familiarize myself with the numerous resources Career Services offers.  One of the biggest obstacles Career Services runs into is getting students to utilize their many resources and expertise.  Part of my job has been to come up with ways to increase student involvement.  After days of brainstorming we were able to come up with several great ideas that we are in the process of developing (Trust me, you’ll love them!).

Along with the new ideas, we’ve also created a brand new social media resource on Pinterest!  This has been a fun project for me to work on and includes loads of great information about how to dress for an interview, resume advice, Career Services resource links, fun infographics, intern spotlights, and much more.  Check out what I’ve been working on at www.pinterest.com/wabashcareer!

Although most of my time is spent in the Career Services building, I have been able to get out on my feet and meet with many of the Crawfordsville businesses to discuss the upcoming Community Fair.  This will be the 7th annual fair and is looking like it will be a great success!  Preparing and organizing the event has by far taken up the majority of my time each day.  Putting together an event that is host to nearly 75 vendors and 600 attendees is no easy task – not to mention designing the event T-Shirt and hiring a caterer.  Needless to say, I’ve taken a few steps outside my comfort zone preparing an event this size.  For more information about the upcoming event, go to www.wabash.edu/careers/fair.

This internship has been quite rewarding knowing that the work I put in this summer is going to help both current and future students with their futures and careers.  The skills I’ve developed, exposure to the real world, and the professional experience have been vastly beneficial to me.  These are all things that I will carry into the future as I continue my Wabash and professional careers.  I would like to thank the Schroeder Center for Career Development for hiring me as a summer intern.  I have loved working with everyone here and look forward to seeing our ideas come to life at the start of the school year.

Now, back to work I go as we finish the last night of our trip in Chicago!