Jeremy McDonald ’13: Manage or be Managed

Jeremy McDonald ’13 – When I first accepted this internship through the Small Business Internship Fund, I thought I had a fair idea of what I would be doing.  One of my good friends from Wabash, Ryan Lutz, had recommended that I apply, and upon learning that I had been offered the position, proceeded to give me advice.  Shortly after arriving and being thrust into the world of DESHO Productions, however, I realized that as helpful as his pointers may have been, there were things that they couldn’t have possibly prepared me for.

DESHO’s president, Aisha Davis, has a favorite phrase: “Manage or be managed.”  As I have become immersed more deeply in this internship, I have realized just how appropriate that motto is.  As event planners, we are expected to overcome any obstacles that could possibly arise and threaten a show from running smoothly.  Performers not turning in the relevant forms, performers not showing up on time, meeting deadlines for press and ad releases, and so the list of potential hang-ups goes on and on, with the threat of being overwhelmed ever present.  But it has been helpful to keep Ms. Davis’ phrase in mind, to remind myself that it is my duty to manage whatever situation may arise, and not allow its difficulties to manage me.  In any case, my ability to think on my feet has improved significantly in the short time that I have been working at DESHO.

My primary responsibilities have included running Live! on Woodrow Wilson Plaza, an annual summer concert series that is free and open to the public, and takes place in the shadow of the Ronald Reagan Building and the EPA.  I, along with the other interns, must make sure that the artists arrive on time, set up with the sound crew, and start both the sound check and the show on time.  Once the show starts, I then have to take periodic decibel readings and head counts, as well as record general observations about the audience’s reaction.  At the end of the show, I then must supervise the breakdown of the stage and pay the performers.

A whole host of other tasks must be accomplished before Live! even occurs, however.  I have to send out the contracts, sound tech, security, and W-9 tax documents to the artists, and ensure that they return them to us in a timely manner.  Then, as part of our promotional campaign to bring greater exposure to Live!, I must constantly update our social media sites, including our Facebook and Twitter pages and our blog.  Beyond these duties, I have also been directed to draft press releases and artist bios that we send to media outlets to increase awareness of the series.  In accomplishing these tasks, I have found that the enormous amount of writing I have done in the past three years at Wabash has served me well.

Now, I suppose that up to this point I have emphasized the rigorousness of the job, but there are undeniable perks as well.  I was lucky enough to see the Empress of Soul, Gladys Knight, in person as she kicked Live! off on June 6th.  She has been far from the only talented artist to grace our stage, however, as we have had a diverse array of performers, from flamenco dancers to alternative rockers, showcase their gifts.  It certainly has been a refreshing and entertaining experience to see the many ways in which people choose to express their artistic abilities.

I have also been lucky to have the aid of a fellow Wabash man, Reggie Steele.  He has been invaluable in helping me to acclimatize and learn how to perform all the tasks I have been entrusted with.  I was also extremely fortunate with my housing situation, as my pledge brother Jason Farbstein has graciously allowed me to live with his family this summer for free.  One of the selling points of Wabash is its networking capabilities, and I have had the good fortune to be a beneficiary of them this summer.  So to close, I would like to extend a thank you to both Wabash Career Services and Ms. Davis for the opportunity they have given me.  Now, back to work, as we have a huge salsa-themed 4th of July celebration to prepare for!