Kim Johnson – During the last week of classes I sat in on the Music 202 final presentations. Music 202 (Instruments and Cultures) gives students an opportunity to learn about a wide variety of musical instruments and their cultural significance. Then, as a final project, the students construct an instrument of their own.

I enjoy seeing the presentations and hearing the students play their instruments but what struck me this year more than in years past is the impact building these instruments had on the students.

No doubt many of the students took this class because they needed a “fine arts credit” and this one looked fun. There were multiple students who confessed in their presentations to have had no prior music background and to know nothing about playing a musical instrument – and from hearing them play their musical instruments I would agree with their self-assessment.

And I’m not saying that to make fun of the students or say that their presentations were not good. I know enough about music that I probably could have plucked out “Mary Had a Little Lamb” on the thumb piano or come up with a couple different chords on the ukulele but I would not have had the patience or creativity these men had in building their instruments.

But what I loved about this group of guys was the ownership they took in building their instruments. For example, Steven Apostolidis ’12 chose to make a Greek Kemence similar to the one his father plays. It’s part of his Greek heritage. Looking at his completed piece and hearing about the work that went into it, I know he did not take the easy route on this project just to get the credit and move on.

Another example: Alex Orton ’13 who hand-crafted a ukulele. He admitted to not knowing how to play much on it but he worked hard on the fine details of his piece so it would be a good display piece that he could hang on his wall.

Or, William Powers ’12 enjoyed making his first didgeridoo so much that he made a second one that is smaller and more portable – and useable! He took it to one of the spring baseball games to make a little “music” in support of his fellow Little Giants on the field.

Whether taken to simply fulfill a distribution requirement or a major/minor course, perhaps one of these men discovered a love for music, history, or organology that will lead to a new hobby or even a new career. Creativity, self-discovery, and individuality – all part of the joy of becoming a liberally educated individual.

Photos: above right – Music 202, Spring 2010; bottom left – Apostolidis ’12 with his Kemence.