Kim Johnson – It’s not easy to eat healthy. It’s not easy to exercise at least 30 minutes a day most days of the week. It’s not easy finding time to relax and de-stress. It’s not always easy to talk to someone when we’re not feeling “well” (physically, mentally, or otherwise).

I have two college degrees in health and still struggle with all this on a daily basis. Most days I would much rather have a quiet, leisurely lunch and skip cramming a workout and shower into the hour. It’s much less effort for me to grab take out or pour dinner out of a box or bag. And I actually have to practice going to a fast-food restaurant and NOT ordering French fries. (Even with practice, I’m frequently unsuccessful once I actually get to the counter and smell their greasy goodness. That then makes it a little easier for me to choose working out later. I guess there is a silver lining to French fries after all.)

Health and well-being are among the most important topics we can talk about, yet no one wants to touch either. That’s why we decided to take a light approach to a heavy subject in the latest issue of Wabash Magazine. We hope it was just the inspiration needed to jump-start a quest for better health.

Need some tools and tips to get started? Visit WM Online for a list of links to helpful websites recommended by physicians, a dietitian, and a health educator.

Also, in honor of this issue, we have added a new blog titled “Fit for a Dean.” Follow Dean of Students Michael Raters ’85 as he chronicles his journey to eat right, return to exercising, and achieve overall better health. He’ll share his successes as well as his struggles, the highs and the lows, his goals and how he’s going to get there.